Rejuvunating Lives Transforming Rehabilitation
Introduction to the problem of Alcohol and Substance Abuse in India.
Alcohol and substance use is a serious problem adversely affecting the social fabric of the country. Addiction to drugs and alcohol, not only affects the individual's health but also disrupts their families and the whole society.
Alcohol and drug use has emerged as a serious concern in India. Worldwide, 3.3 million deaths every year result from harmful use of alcohol and this represents 5.9% of all deaths. It is also a casual factor in more than 200 diseases and injury condition (WHO).
In a national survey conducted in 2001-2002, it is estimated that 7302 million persons were user of alcohol and drugs. Of these 8.7, 2.0 and 62.5 million were users of cannabis, opium and alcohol. About 26%, 22% and 17% of the users three types respectively were found to be dependent on /addicted to them.
Madhya Pradesh has the same problem of alcohol and drug abuse. According to World Health Organization's (WHO) report on need of beds for treatment of alcohol and drug abuse disorder in the world, was 1.7 per 1000 population and for India it is 0.6 per 100000 population. According to these figures there is a high need of beds for treatment and rehabilitation of such persons.
Navchetana Nirvana Social Welfare Society is a registered NGO in Madhya Pradesh and has taken this initiative to start a rehabilitation center for alcohol and drug addicted persons. The society has come up with a de-addiction and rehabilitation center at Indore.
What Addiction means to us?
- Premature Death.
- Institutional treatments / jails
- Broken relationships
- Crime and legal problems
- Loss of jobs and social security
Is your habit becoming a problem? Try these four questions.
C A G E
C---Have you ever felt, you should cut down on your drinking?
A--Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
G--Have you felt bad or guilty about your drinking?
E--Eye Opener: have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady yourself and your nerves and to get rid of hangover?
T A C E
T—Tolerance: how many drinks does it now take to make you feel high?
A—Have people annoyed you by criticizing you drinking?
C—Have you ever felt you ought to cut down on your drinking?
E— Eye Opener: have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady yourself and your nerves and to get rid of hangover?
Is your habit becoming an addiction?
Did you decided to try and face up to what alcohol/ drug abuse had done to you?
Are you addicted to alcohol or drug use?
- More than once did you got into situations, while or after drinking or drug use that increased your chances of getting hurt. (Driving, swimming, walking in dangerous area or having unsafe sex)?
- Continued to drink or use even though it was making you feel depressed or anxious or adding to another health problem? Or having a memory black out?
- Had to drink or use drug much more than you once, to get the same effect you want?
- Found that when the effects of alcohol or drug were weaning off you had withdrawal symptoms, such as trouble sleeping, shakiness, inability, anxiety, depression, restlessness nausea or sweating?
- Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?
Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking and stop telling you what to do?
Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?
Have you had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?
Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?
- Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year ?
- Has your drinking caused trouble at home?
- Do you ever try to get extra drinks at party because you do not get enough?
- Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking anytime you want to ever though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to ?
- Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking?
- Do you have Blackouts? You do not remember when and how much you drank last night?
- Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?